David M.Green Bookkeeping and Tax Service -

Recent Posts

Tax Appointments Both Office Locations
2nd Office Location Opening Soon in Waynesboro Pa
2018 Tax Filing Season Begins Jan. 29, Tax Returns Due April 17
Standard Mileage Rates for 2018 Up from Rates for 2017
powered by

My Blog

Adjust Your Withholdings and Change Your Tax Outcome

t have enough money withheld, you will owe additional tax to the IRS when y...free loan of money you could have invested elsewhere.

The best course of action is to adjust your withholding so that the amount of tax withheld is as close to your actual tax liability as possible. To adjust your withholding, you must complete and submit an updated version of Form W-4.

About Form W-4

Form W-4 is a form you must submit to your employer when you begin a job. The information on the form tells your employer how much money to withhold from your paycheck and send to the IRS. On Form W-4, you will find a worksheet you can use to determine how many allowances you should claim, as well as a worksheet for deductions and adjustments.

To change the amount of money your employer will withhold in the following tax year, simply complete a new copy of this form with the correct amount of withholding indicated. For example, if you owed additional money with your tax return last year, prevent the problem from occurring again by adding a value to Box 6, “additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck.” Alternatively, if you received a refund and don’t want to receive another, consider increasing the number of allowances you are claiming to reduce your withheld tax.

If you have no tax liability and expect to receive a refund of any tax withheld, write “exempt” in Box 7 to discontinue all withholding.

0 Comments to Adjust Your Withholdings and Change Your Tax Outcome:

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment